world CLIMBERS party
- "TOPO GUIDE" groups, dedicated to a specific climbing area, searchable on this google map.
A "topo guide" group is a mix between:
a) a "wiki", with videos too, but less aseptic and impersonal
b) a forum, but more focused on sharing informations about a specific climbing area, sector, ascent
To write "as it comes" we can use forum and blogs.
In "topo guides" is better to have some guidelines, to avoid confusion.
If You have ideas to improve the following guidelines, just write them in comments, thank You in advance.
In every topo guide group we can discuss in the following 2 languages:
1) the language of the country where is located the group's climbing area (examples: french for Ceuse group, spanish for Rodellar group, ...)
Every climber can:
- start a new discussion
- join already started conversations
For every kind of climbing there are topo guide groups and referred discussions:
- sport climbing
- deep water soloing
In every topo groups we can discuss about:
1) the whole AREA.
We can share our PERSONAL comments, reports, opinions, experiences, histories, anecdotes.
- our opinion about the area
- how many stars (1 to 3) of BEAUTY we give to the area
Then, we can add NOT personal INFORMATIONS.
- if possible to get there with public transport
- where to sleep and buy food
- how many sectors
- what to do in rest days, ...
- total routes or boulders or ...
- type of climbing
- best period
- rock type / quality
- chance to find climbing partners if alone
- equipment type and safety level
- if climbable when it rains
Please, note: the way to discuss about an area is NOT to discuss about its sectors
The single sectors discussions are different and separated.
2) a specific SECTOR.
In this case our PERSONAL comments, reports, opinions, experiences, histories, anecdotes could be:
- how many stars (1 to 3) of BEAUTY we give to the sector
- our opinion about the atmosphere of the sector
And the UNPERSONAL, "cold" INFORMATIONS:
- where it is located in the whole climbing area
- how to reach it
- how many routes/boulders
- best period
- the list of the routes, as shown in the following example.
Please, note: the way to discuss about a sector is NOT to discuss about its lines
The single lines discussions are different and separated.
A SECTOR is:
- the middle between the whole climbing area and the single line
- NATURE close and around the rock
- something MORE than the sum of many lines
A LINE is:
- a specific piece of rock that is possible to climb
3) a specific LINE, referring to our own ascents and/or from other climbers.
In this case too we can write and share our PERSONAL comments, reports, opinions, experiences, histories, anecdotes.
- our opinion about the GRADE of difficulty, phisical and psychological too
- how many stars (1 to 3) of BEAUTY we give to the ascent
And "cold" (NOT personal and more general) INFORMATIONS too, some examples:
- the DATE of first, second, third ascent
- the DATE of first "on sight", flash, female, ... ascents
- type of ascent
- longitude, latitude, altitude MAP
- bolted by
- predominant type of holds
- predominant type of climbing
- suggested rope lenght
- inclination (degrees)
- distance between protections
- if climbable when it rains
- hours with sun in different seasons
If You start a new discussion referred to a line, please, as title, write "name of the line, name of the sector (where the ascent is located)".
So, every discussion in a "topo guide" group is a kind of multi-authors blog post, where everybody can participate sharing:
- TEXT (TRANSLATIONS are welcome !)
We can drawn on a paper our own simple topo, scanner and add it as a normal photo:
To insert a video just copy its code (from Youtube, Vimeo, ...) and paste it in the discussion.
If You like to embed just a specific part of a YouTube Video You can use Tubechop.
To make a word "linkable", just select it, click on link icon
write the url You want to link, click ok.
- attached FILES
In every discussion it's always useful and VERY IMPORTANT to add "tags":
If You like to give Your contributions about a particular climbing area not already existing in the groups, just send an email (firstname.lastname@example.org): it will be create as soon as possible, thanks.
Enjoy sharing !